Saturday 4 March 2017

I just killed Gladys

I didn't mean to. I've (sort of) looked after her over the years but finally she's gone. Just couldn't take the pace I suppose. I try to be kind and almost never swear at her, or smack her with my fist to hurry her up. And I haven't dropped a cup of tea over her for more than a year.
    For ages I've been promising to download and print my parking receipts from the City of London and Westminster. Every month I've reminded myself and every month I've ignored myself.
    Well today I finally did it. Luckily for me she lasted until the final page before exuding a strangled squeak, a small puff of smoke - a puffettte really, and dying spectacularly.
    It was probably my own fault really for using generic cartridges instead of the real ones. A lady should always be dressed in the best, but each of the real ones cost nearly twice what I paid for the dratted machine in the first place.
    And now Gladys is no more. I'll miss her - until tomorrow. I've seen a newer, more svelte model in the supermarket. I'm going to called her Doris.
    And she was rubbish at scanning.

7 comments:

  1. You should try www.ijtdirect.co.uk Roger. They will provide you with a free printer for the price of some cartridges. I know, as I' have a Brother printer that scans, photocopies and faxes (does anyone actually do that anymore?) and also prints to A3 size. I've used it for three years, with mostly generic cartridges supplied by the company mentioned. Works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'll have a look at them. but are they any good for slices of toast wedged deep into the platen? My daughter did it twice tying to print marmalade on the bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a novel idea. And maybe an idea for a kid's story?

      Delete
    2. I thought about it, but in my case it wouldn't be fiction.

      Delete
  3. Doris won’t be a patch on Gladys! You men are so fickle always wanting the latest model. I just hope you know what you're doing dear boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not like that. I don't go out drinking - much, and I don't see other printers. We've just grown apart. And she's always demanding new stuff. New cartridges, new platens, new scanning lights. Its never ends.

      Delete

Labels