Friday 17 August 2018

Ellie's got diabetes

It never would have occurred to me.

    Ellie has not been in the best of health for a week or two. A little unsteady on her feet and generally unwell, hence her less than warm greeting last time I saw her.

    I did suspect that she had laminitis, which always makes horses grumpy. I would be too if my neck was as hard as rock and my hooves crumbling. 

    But no, it's not the plentiful supply of grass, which for a Shetland pony is a bad thing, since they apparently spend their lives leaping around searching for the odd blade of grass to nibble on in the wild. And I know there's not that much grass in the Shetland Isles, because I once did an exercise there whilst in the Royal Marines - awful drafty place.

    Apparently she has to be starved of all the things she loves the most - and of which she's probably had far too much.

    If she was grumpy before she's going to be a real pain from now on.

    She may only be the size of a mutant Labrador but she's got the impact velocity of a small car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels