Thursday 2 April 2020

A horsey update

After my daughter's stallion had to be put down a few weeks ago, my little cherub was understandably distraught.

    Both of her horses are ex race machines. I suppose they must give them turbo food for a few years, which makes them fast, but also rots their bones and afflicts them with massive ulcers. I'm not generalising here, but I know what I've seen. Still, the last five years he was with my daughter were a lot happier than when when he was running.

    So imagine her terror when Ellie, the miniature Shetland stopped eating, and worse, drinking. After four days of this the new vet carted her off to Oxford to a horsey hospital, and told her (my daughter that is) that her mouth was full of  hideous and suppurating sores. She was subsequently rendered unconscious, and pumped full of liquid via intravenous drips. After the operation on her inner mouth was completed, and allowed to heal, the vet filed her teeth to remove the jagged bits (since Shetland's will eat absolutely everything); something the previous vet refused to do because it was completely unnecessary, according to him.

    Ten days later and Ellie was back, slimmer, but well and happy.

    Richie, the other ex race horse, who has a wonderful temperament, but also carries fewer IQ points than a stable door, had been missing her greatly and was delighted to see her back.



    Careful observers will notice that Richie's right eye is missing. It cost me a fortune to have it removed a couple of years ago because of his inability to walk in a straight line without bumping into things - like big spiky hedges.  Like I said, lovely but brain dead.

5 comments:

  1. It took him ages to learn how to walk without stereo vision - depth of field and all that. He's still a doughnut but we love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As horses have to eat despite corona, stables are still open. With that in mind, I'm going to ride him next week. It's been fifty years since I sat on a horse. Even if I don't come off, and he doesn't canter into a tree, it's going to be plenty painful the next day.

      Delete
    2. Good luck! I go up to the saddle barn where my wife works and ride once or twice a year--I'm always sore the day after.

      Delete

Labels