Sunday 12 August 2012

So much for finished.

Donna, my wonderful proof reader, began Three Hoodies Two the other day. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look upon it, she found about six errors in the first chapter. She also highlighted a problem I'd been trying to avoid.

   You know what GB Shaw said about England and America: "Two countries separated by a common language."

   I decided long ago to write my novels in my version of English, making sure there were not too many obscure colloquialisms to prevent any English speaker from understanding, no matter whence they hailed. What I never considered was the grammar. There aren't that many crucial differences but enough to make a difference. Thus I had to make a decision. As much as I'd like readers on both sides of the Atlantic to read my books, most of my sales come from America. So I've decided that where the grammatical differences vary I'll go with the American standard provided it doesn't vary too much. I wonder if anyone will notice. Hopefully they won't.

   I've now asked Donna to trash her copy of H/2, and I've started again. Hopefully it won't take more than a few days.

   Still can't decide on a cover. I think I'll start all over again.

7 comments:

  1. Can you give me a small example of the type of grammatical difference that stands out? Like you I'd be used to the 'English' rather than 'American' standard. I wouldn't have thought the impact would have been that great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing crucial. Just enough to know that the writer is not American. Ie, meeting (Britain), meeting with (US). Needn't (British), Don't need (US), At the weekend, (British),on the weekend (US). As I said nothing fundamental but I have to decide on one or the other and stick with it. It's proving to be a whole lot of work and perhaps I'll just stick with my version of English. My other series, Old Geezers is written as an American. That's a lot easier because I began that way from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I think you should stick with 'English' - it would not be natural to try to be something you are not and it may affect the flow of your writing and be an obvious distraction. The Hoodies are also typical British youth - that is part of the signature of the book so I think you need to be true to the culture it comes from - but that is just my opinion (as an Irish S. African!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're correct of course. I'll stick with plonkers and other made-up expletives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Sharon ;) And I'm even an American, LOL! Brit English is more fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good, more confusing and meaningless swearwords on the way. Although I was forced to change their vocabulary somewhat for a while towards the end of Hoodies 2. It didn't last long, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should go with both in the same novel - I'm teasing! Actually, your work is so good compared to so many others I've read. Just remember, YOU are an exceptional storyteller, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete

Labels