Tuesday 5 February 2013

All my novels now on smashwords.

As I've escaped from San-Amazon I finally uploaded all my novels to smashwords. I'm just waiting for premium approval for my fifth and I'll be set. I've had downloads already and one sale. Not exactly Times Best Seller list but I'm hopeful.

   I've spent the last few days writing my new novel The book of Pain. It's taken a lot of work to discover how people spoke colloquial English in the 16, 17th and 18th centuries. I hope I've done it justice. One thing that has remained the same for all those years is the profanity. I never realised just how old most of our most common swearwords are. I haven't used them a lot, but it was easier to use the ones I know instead of making up my own.

   Something I have discovered about medieval speech is that it required an awful long time to say the simplest of things. Our abridged speech of today would have confounded the people of those times. It's almost a different language. Pretty much like Birmingham now. And before any brummies threaten me with a fatwa; I am from Birmingham and have spent thirty years attempting to learn something people in London understand.

   After finishing 102 pages I reckon I'm about a quarter of the way through the novel. He has a lot of world to see but there's no hurry; my character is immortal until...

I've just discovered that the spam monster has struck once more. I've exterminated them and hope it hasn't inconvenienced anyone.

6 comments:

  1. I think Smashwords is actually the ideal vendor because you can get a book in any format with one stop. That's the way it ought to be. Unfortunately, they don't have Amazon's $$$ so they aren't as well known to the general consumer.

    I admire all of you who make the switch a great deal, because I know it comes with some potential tradeoffs. And I also know dealing with the Big A can be a bit like getting in bed with a devil.

    Hope it works out well, and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. I have to admit that I'm not really brave. I have my novels now in both Amazon and smashwords.
    I have sold quite a few novels with Amazon, about eighty or so, but because I live in the UK and what with the price of conversion from $-£ and as I still have to pay tax here after paying it in the US, I've not received a penny. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting all your novels on Smashwords. I've liked Smashwords from the start.
    As for your novel, I can't wait. I think it's exceptional. I can't even imagine what you had to go through to research the common speaking ways of those times, but how fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's pretty much the way I speak all the time. I never learnt how to speak properly; something my wife has always complained about. She especially hates being called "wench."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a job! Even tho it took them forever to speak, it's almost poetic to hear. I can appreciate hearing it, but glad we don't still use it.
    You really call your wife wench? lol I call my hubby noodlehead. lol

    Congrats on Smashwords! And wow I cant believe you have to pay taxes twice. Hadn't thought of that before. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do and she calls me something else rhyming with something very rude.
    I do enjoy the medieval way of speaking but I think I'd get bored very quickly.
    Yes, so much for our "special" tax agreement. They actually call it that even if it doesn't really exist.

    ReplyDelete

Labels