Friday 13 July 2012

Wether.

That's either a homophone or it's just very late.

   I just heard today that they might be instigating underwater sprinting for the Olympics next week. Coupled with underwater discus tossing and subterranean javelin, it should make for an interesting games. Or at least it would if I was going to watch anyone of it.

   Am I the only one in creation who hates sport? I must be according the to the frenzy the papers are recording. Except that all I can see is the earnest wish that it would all be over. It took me twenty minutes to drive thirty feet today in London. If it's not the Crosslink, a completely useless and criminally expensive Tube line that nobody will ever use; or a major motorway (freeway) that doesn't work or three hundred major roadworks that nobody is actually working on. This city has become unbearable. I wonder if it was like this in LA.

   And did I mention the rain? It hasn't stopped for three months. I understand that English summers are short but this is just ridiculous. This is where I'd like to spend the next six weeks. No TV, no radio - and no RAIN.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you get a really bad sunburn though.

    Shelly
    http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunburn! The chance would be nice. The cat hasn't been out for a week and she's prowling the place looking for things to tear up.

      Delete
  2. Rain can be a pain and a little depressing. We had a water leak in our development and it caused a lake in my yard (of course!). It's fixed but now our yard has to dry up, so we don't want any rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only rescinded the hosepipe ban this week. That was about a month after all the reservoirs began to overflow.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on this one - Ireland has been just as much of a washout. Summer is always frustratingly short - we live in hope and expectation until we realise the window of opportunity has gone again for the year - but this has been the year summer really forgot altogether!! A desert island sounds like sheer bliss. What ever happened to global warming we kept hearing so much about before - did I miss it?? I thought all the oak trees were going to die and all we were going to be able to grow were olives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't hear too much about global warming for a while. The sun has just ended one of its twelve year cycles and the weather will be mad for a couple of years. It's been happening for 50000000000000 years but the global warming people just use it to suit their needs when they feel like it.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a sports enthusiast either. in fact the last time I watched anything Olympic related was when they had the male swim trials for the LAST Olympics in Omaha NE, I happened to be visiting my Dad (who lives near there) and he was watching it on TV and as they had those new, controversial swimsuits... heh-heh, well, I momentarily had a vague sport interest ;) However, it waned the moment the women came on the screen and has not been back since ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where can I get a recorded copy? Of the women that is.

      Delete
  5. Is this the time to admit we have tickets for the men’s handball (whatever that might be?). 50% off the ticket price plus OAP coach travel – how could we resist? I hate sport, but I do want to see the Olympic village and feel part of it if only for an afternoon.
    I think you should take a holiday Roger, come to Somerset it’s only partly submerged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men's handball? Sounds vaguely smutty.
      I'd love to go on holiday but I'm self employed, if I miss a day the client will just find someone else, of whom there are several thousand waiting.
      Sounds like a good plan, though. I haven't been on holiday for over a decade.

      Delete
  6. Ugh, rain. We've had our share too, interrupting a beautiful summer. I could be very happy on that island if it came with frozen pops, but I'd get tired of the coconuts from the tree. And it's an island - land mass - that's what you need. Plenty of land mass and sunshine. I hear South America is like that.

    ReplyDelete

Labels