Sunday 24 September 2017

Finished the second draft

Even after thirty years of writing it never fails to confuse/irritate me at how many little avenues and twists that sounded so good were just as quickly forgotten as soon as the next page appeared.

    My new novel was no exception. In the end I removed eight burgeoning sub plots. The fact that they were no good doesn't make any difference. It's not even as if I can blame it on senility, I was doing it when I began at twenty five.

    Next week I'll begin draft three and the removal of all passive writing.

    Draft four will be the ejection, removal, elimination, eradication, purging and ejection of all unnecessary, pointless, superfluous and wanton adjectives - not that I suffer from that particular problem.



On another note, as I'm typing I've just begun the second hour of my phone call to Sky TV in an attempt to cancel my subscription. I'll do it if it kills me, if only out of spite.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about stamina, all those edits would drive me crazy. Just blogging takes me all my time – I start over so many times I’m sick to death of it by the time it gets published. You have my undying admiration! I enjoy getting the photographs/illustrations ready, but I’m not so good with words!

    ReplyDelete

Labels