Tuesday 5 December 2017

So what am I going to do for the next two weeks?

On the basis that I am never ever going to write more than one novel at the same time ever again, I find myself at a loss. I've just finished the latest reincarnation of Sod's Law so I'll leave alone for a fortnight before the next. The new, new novel is waiting for me to recommence but for that reason it'll have to wait.

    About twenty five years ago I read/listened to a hilarious novel by Tom Sharpe entitled Vintage Stuff. It came as about ten extra long cassettes (if you don't know what that means you'll have to ask your granddad. I was about to embark on a journey from the south of France to a ski resort in far off Switzerland, and clearly I couldn't read.

    I began about eight o'clock that night and plugged in the first cassette straight away. For those of you who've driven in the snow (or in fact anywhere in France) you'll know it's a dangerous pastime and even with four wheel drive the journey was long, dangerous and arduous. And cold since it was January and the heater in the Ranger Rover packed up about fifteen minutes after I left.

    After driving all night, avoiding insane driver who didn't have four wheel drive, or a brain for the most part, I arrived at the ski resort with a vehicle packed with all my boss's gear only to find that I was still one whole cassette from finishing the book.

    Even though I was tired beyond belief and frozen solid I couldn't get out of the car until I'd finished it off.

    About a week ago I bought the book for my Kindle to see if it had stood the test of time. It had and nearly cost me my job because I couldn't stop reading it and almost being sick because it was so funny.

    Anyway, this long drawn out passage is just a way of recommending the book for all of you who want a real slice of English comedy. You won't get better and I guarantee you'll love it if farces are your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels