Tuesday 16 March 2021

Had my hospital appointment

I finally got my appointment at the dermatologist yesterday. 

     After waiting over an hour, my need for the little boys room was only outweighed by the fear of doing it and losing my slot.  Finally it was my turn. First she examined the enlarged mole on my wrist. 

    'Right,' she said, 'Get your kit off.'

    Normally, I have no problem disrobing before women. However, faced with three strange nurses, all of whom have seen much worse, and presumably better then me, it was a little discomfiting. Two minutes later, that was done, and all was fine. I was blob-less everywhere else.

    'Now' she said, motioning towards my wrist with the offending mole.

    'Yes,' I said.

    'Melanoma. It's got to come off.'

    'When,' I said.

    'Right now.'

    After a fairly desperate trip to the conveniences, I was faced with a doctor and nurse in a small room several floors down. I felt the need to inform them that local, and sometimes general anesthetic, have little or no affect upon me. Waking up half way through the operation to remove my burst appendix, is something that will live with me forever. 

    'No problem,' she said and apparently injected me with a turbo boost of something which worked quite well. I think I heard the word Ketamine, but couldn't be sure in my panic. I had also told her that my propensity to bleed was quite spectacular but usually didn't last long. She was very impressed and cleaned it up without complaint.

    Half an hour later, minus what felt like a dinner plate size of meat, she put four stitches into my wrist, telling me that the biopsy would take about two weeks to process.

    It's going to be a long 14 days. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels