Saturday 6 March 2021

Sense or census

A couple of days ago the postman/person delivered my census form, which will take place in a week or so. We only get them once a decade and the penalty for not responding is transportation, death, or worse. 

    Unlike, or perhaps exactly like the rest of the planet, not everyone in the UK even has a computer, let alone the internet. Yet according to the instructions emblazoned across the front page, I, like everyone else in order to save the planet, has to do it on the same day - on the computer. I can't even imagine how much bandwidth it would require for 27.8 million (I just looked it up) households to get onto a single website at the same time without it, and the building housing from bursting into flames.

    On TV this morning, they advised us all to start doing it straight away, so I dutifully did. Not only could I not get on, but received error messages that after forty years of faffing about with computers, even I had never seen.

    I've ordered a paper form. They can sue me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels