Tuesday 4 August 2015

Be careful of what you wish for.

For years I've been trying, without the slightest success, to persuade my alleged family to read my writing. It's not for praise, although the occasional acceptance that my  "little hobby" isn't going to go away, would be nice, but also because beta readers are hard to come by. I've written 15 novels and published eight, and never once in that time has my family ever deigned to take a look.

   That all changed when I published my family collection the other day. I noticed an immediate sale and was hopefully encouraged, but forgot all about it until the next day when my daughter returned home from her night shift at the establishment foolish, er good enough to employ her.

    'Did you have a good shift, my darli...?'

    I got no further, and indeed no further words have passed between us since her initial and graphically vitriolic outburst.

    I forgot she had a Kindle; my Kindle in fact since she she boosted it a few months ago at the arrival of my new tablet. She's not a happy bunny and if it was illegal to swear at one's parents she'd now be enjoying a ten stretch.





Image courtesy of https://openclipart.org/
who provided all the free clipart for my collection, and to whom I'm immensely grateful. 

8 comments:

  1. My family is the same, Roger. It sucks. But they all wanted a free signed copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!! Tell her you'll write a nice book about her if she starts beta editing for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the stories in the collection are about her, and most are nice - ish. She won't read my novels because of my annoying habit of including two (and horrors) three syllable words in my sentences. And cos' I absolutely refuse to say things like innit. AYKM

      Delete
  3. Oops. Yet, way funny. I'm sure she still loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roger, I've now downloaded my copy and have read the first few pages - hilarious! I'm so pleased you put all these stories together (don't tell your daughter I said that!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I hope you enjoy them all. It wouldn't matter what i said to my little minx, she'd be upset just for something to do.

    ReplyDelete

Labels