Saturday 7 October 2017

A dog bit me.

This is just one of the reasons I've used to save me from editing. 

    Don't get me wrong, I love everything about writing books but after the third edit all the energy seems to drain away.

    So here is a list of the reasons I've used to avoid editing:

    A dog bit me (true) but as it was only a mild scratch it didn't work too well, especially as the mutt was about the size of a mutant hamster.

    Someone almost killed me on my motorbike and my hand hurts. Also true but as that happens every time I get onto the thing it's a bit girly even for me.

    Someone tried to steal my motorbike but only succeeded in trashing it. Also true but hardly a good reason for me to be sitting in my room sobbing like a baby.

    My computer's broke. True-ish. I was downloading yet another update of windows 10 at the time. Admittedly it did take three days since it crashed every time I tried to install it.

    My mouse is broke. That was an outright cheat since I'm so old I still remember all the pre-mouse keyboard shortcuts.

    My wife moaned at me. But then she always does if I don't dig the garden more often than once a decade. She's touchy like that.

    I've just had another idea for a book. That's also true but since I have an enormous file on my pc with about fifty ideas for new books, not really enough.

    Alright. I've had enough of whining, so it's back to editing. Except that my big toe is throbbing a little. Hey, that might work for a couple of days.



2 comments:

  1. Years ago, I had the unenviable job of chasing customers for late payment of invoices. You would not believe the excuses people came up with – one, which has stuck with me ever since was “the factory cat ate the cheque book." Your dog bite (or not) rather reminded me of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my clients always paid me exactly one week late, and always on a Friday afternoon by cheque, just to get another three days as the banks are closed a the weekends. It's always the same.

    ReplyDelete

Labels